RARA-AVIS: Re: Larry Brown, RIP

From: Richard Moore ( moorich2@aol.com)
Date: 27 Nov 2004

In a Larry Brown collection of essays entitled BILLY RAY'S FARM
(2001), there is a piece entitled "Harry Crews: Mentor and Friend" where he writes about how Crews' example kept him writing despite all the rejections. "By 1985 I had written five unpublished novels and almost one hundred short stories that had for the most part, gone begging also. I'd sold one story to 'Easyriders', one to 'Fiction International,' and one to a now-defunct magazine in New York called 'Twilight Zone.'"

His sales to the literary magazines came with his breakthrough story "Facing the Music." I used to subscribe to the Twilight Zone and will now have to dig through my issues to see if I have the one with that Larry Brown story. I do recall that TZ always did have a good eye for fresh talent.

Brown sent his first book to Crews who gave it a good blurb and years later read in a published interview that Crews had tried to call him. He dropped Crews a note and they soon met and became fast friends. I imagine they kept the bartenders busy when they were out on the town together.

Richard Moore

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, DJ-Anonyme@w... wrote:
> Richard brought up the movie Big Bad Love, based on a Larry Brown
story.
> According to the Post obit, there's another movie involving him, a
> documentary entitled The Rough South of Larry Brown.
>
> Something else that stuck me was this line: "He began finding his
work
> accepted by the motorcycle magazine Easyriders and Mississippi
Review,

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM