RARA-AVIS: Re: Larry Brown, RIP

From: Richard Moore ( moorich2@aol.com)
Date: 26 Nov 2004

I would start at the beginning with his first book the collection FACING THE MUSIC.

I was up at 3a.m. early Thanksgiving morning, cooking and watching the Independent Film Channel and up popped the Larry Brown-based 2002 movie "Big Bad Love." I had never heard of this movie but it was quite good, moving from the realistic to dream sequences. There are scenes that are funny and others painfully real. The autobiographical lead character slaves away at manual labor while writing and collecting rejection slips, brawling in bars, and dealing with his ex-wife, two kids and worried mother. Arliss Howard starred, directed and co-wrote the movie, which co-starred Debra Winger, who also produced the movie. The cast also includes Angie Dickinson, Paul LaMat, Rosanna Arquette and Michael Parks. I had missed the credits and each one came as a fresh surprise.

A few hours after seeing the movie I was at a Thanksgiving celebration when a friend asked me if I had seen the obit of the southern novelist in that morning's paper. I hadn't and he couldn't recall the name. Then I began to talk about the movie and mentioned the Larry Brown basis and my friend snapped his finger and said "That's who died." Everyone has had that sort of coincidence happen to them but it always feels a bit strange when it does.

Richard Moore

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, DJ-Anonyme@w... wrote:
> I was just reading Larry Brown's obit. His books sound
iteresting. I

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM