RARA-AVIS: Literary Translation at The Banff Centre

From: Karin Montin ( kmontin@sympatico.ca)
Date: 26 Nov 2004

As there are many published authors and a number of translators on this list, I hope no one will mind my forwarding this notice. I should have done it weeks ago, because the deadline is creeping up. (Anyway, there's always next year.) The program offers an opportunity for translators to spend three weeks in a fantastic setting and even to get together with their authors there.

Tapani's comment about hoping to translate Ken Bruen reminded me about this program. Unfortunately that particular combination would not be eligible, as either the translator has to be from Canada, the U.S. or Mexico, or the author has to be from the Americas. That still leaves a lot of scope.

Karin
--------------- 2005 Banff International Literary Translation Centre (BILTC)

Call for Applications June 12 - July 2, 2005 Application deadline: December 17, 2004 Director: Linda Gaboriau

"Translation, like writing, is both art and craft. With a touch of alchemy. When translator and author actually get to meet, the result can be inspired. Nuance is what translates language into art. There is no substitute for the direct connection that Banff provides."

~ Ann-Marie MacDonald

Hello Karin,

The Banff International Literary Translation Centre (BILTC) is the first of its kind in North America. The primary focus of the residency program is to afford literary translators a period of uninterrupted work on a current project, within an international community of translators. The program is open to literary translators from Canada, Mexico and the United States translating from any language, and to international translators working on literature from the Americas (both the North and South American continents).

Visit the web page for BILTC. Information is available in English, French, and Spanish. http://www.banffcentre.ca/programs/program.aspx?id=220

FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE: Translators accepted into the program will receive an award to cover the program fee. Financial assistance may also be available for accommodation and meal costs.

FOR MORE INFO OR TO APPLY: Contact the Office of the Registrar EMAIL arts_info@banffcentre.ca PHONE 1-800-565-9989 www.banffcentre.ca

Visit our website for information on other writing programs at The Banff Centre. www.banffcentre.ca/writing/programs

The Banff Centre c/o Office of the Registrar 107 Tunnel Mountain Drive Box 1020, Banff, Alberta T1L 1H5 CANADA 1-800-565-9989 1-403-762-6180

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM