RARA-AVIS: Contents, BYLINE: MICKEY SPILLANE

From: Douglas G. Greene ( dgreene@odu.edu)
Date: 24 Nov 2004

BYLINE: MICKEY SPILLANE is now in press, and we expect copies by the middle of December, perhaps earlier.

It will apperar in two forms:

Clothbound, 250 copies, signed and numbered by Mickey, Max Allan Collins, and Lynn Myers. Each copy will also contain a CD with 3 Mike Hammer shows, including one with Mickey himself as Mike. List price will be $48, and we expect copies to go quickly.

Softcover; approximately 1000 copies in the first printing. $20.00.

The book will be made up of hitherto uncollected material, divided into Mike Hammer stories, comic books featuring Mike's predecessors Mike Danger and Mike Valiant, and Spillane's non-fiction pieces written primarily during the 1950's and 1960's when he was living a life of adventure:::

                          CONTENTS

Introduction: I, the Writer by Max Allan Collins and Lynn F. Myers, Jr. (the joint editors)

THAT HAMMER GUY

"The Killing Man," Mike Hammer short story, Playboy December, 1989. Shamus winner, for Best Short Story from Private Eye Writers of America (1990)-- enlarged into the novel.
"Black Alley," Mike Hammer short story, Playboy, December, 1996. Enlarged into the novel.
"Tonight, My Love," Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer Story
(1954); script format Mike Hammer short story
"The Duke Alexander" - previously unpublished
"lost" Mike Hammer short story, middle 1950's This story was discovered in a faded thermofax copy-of-a-carbon in Mickey's files, and Lynn Myers recovered it by matching partial letters to the font of the typewriter Mickey used at the time.

MACHO MEN

"Down, Down for Gold," Cavalier, November, 1955 (hunting for sunken treasure off the coast of Florida).
"I Rode With Hot Rod Moonshiners," Cavalier, May, 1956
(illegal Moonshine adventures with Spillane along for the wild ride).
"Sawdust in my Shoes," Clyde Beatty Circus Program 1957 edition
(Spillane on his time with circus around filming of his starring crime film, Ring of Fear).

HOT WHEELS

"You Can't Rock a Stock Jock," Stag, July, 1952
"Speaking of Speed," Motor Life, August, 1954
"Sports Car Fiesta," Cavalier, August, 1957
"Tough, Fast and Beautiful," Cavalier, September, 1955
(racing cars at Sebring)
"I, The Driver," Clues, 1955

SEX AND VIOLENCE

"The Enjoyment of Women," Man's Magazine, 1955
"Mickey Spillane on TV Violence," TV Guide, Sept. 30, 1961
"Secrets of a Private Eye," Quick , September 29, 1952
"Blondes Are A State of Mind" (poem), Men's Life, Fall Issue (1961)
"Tangled Up In Blue," Men's Health, July/August, 1996
(Spillane on cops)
"Mickey's Myrtle Memories," history of Myrtle Beach, his home (1995)

THE ORIGINS OF MIKE HAMMER

Mike Valiant story from Green Hornet #10 Crime Detector #3 Mike Danger story #1 Crime Detector #4 Mike Danger story #2
"Fan Letter to Carroll John Daly" (1950's) on Mike Hammer being the successor to Race Williams; previously unpublished.

We'll be glad to take reservations. . . and the major mystery bokdealers should have copies.

Doug Crippen & Landru www.crippenlandru.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM