RE: RARA-AVIS: New Spillane

From: Brian Evankovich ( briane1911a1@hotmail.com)
Date: 23 Nov 2004

Spillane wrote his best book between '47 and '53, I've come to believe. I had looked so forward to "Something's Down There", couldn't finish it, and wound up sorely disappointed (bought the hardcover, too, I was so excited about it). I liked the beach setting and it looked like he had a good mystery going, but it moved way, way too slow, and just didn't have the usual Spillane magic. I didn't care for "Black Alley", either, the book previous to SDT, but it least it was written well and had the magic.

If anybody has the opposite opinion and can say why I should finish SDT, I would love to hear it. --Brian