Re: RARA-AVIS: Briarpatch

From: Richard Moore ( moorich2@aol.com)
Date: 18 Nov 2004

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Jacques Debierue"
<matrxtech@y...> wrote:

> > To Mario: You asked about what Thomas has done
> > besides writing. That same intro says he has been a
> > reporter, and editor, and several wide-ranging public
> > relations jobs for publications, radio stations,
> > organizations, and political candidates.
>
> Yes, but I don't think you get the kind of stories and details
that
> Thomas uses in his novels by holding those types of day jobs... I
> think he may have been in the field himself, like so many of his
> protagonists. In any case, he's a fascinating writer, one of the
> best in the hardboiled world. I like how he chips away at a
> character, methodically extracting layer after layer. Those
> characters must have felt all used up after a novel-length
> session with Thomas....
>
> Best,
>
> MrT

Ross Thomas weaved in and out of the world of public relations, politics and what is now called public affairs. He worked in election campaigns both here and abroad and in union politics and elections. As a consultant, he was the outside hired gun who dropped into situations and stirred the pot and tried to get things moving in ways that helped his clients.

It was a great background to have and Thomas made repeated use of his day job experiences. It was also a great cover for someone collecting a second check from one of the intelligence outfits, something I am convinced he did for periods. This is probably not uncommon, as I've known others that I suspected did the same.

As a Washington based consultant myself, Thomas worked in a world I know well and I can vouch for his spot-on accuracy concerning Washington, politics and other campaigns.

Richard Moore

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM