RARA-AVIS: Hammett puzzle

From: Mike Ashley ( mikeashley@compuserve.com)
Date: 06 Nov 2004

I posted this over on the FictionMags list but it seems even more relevant here.

Back in 1981 when Richard Laymon wrote SHADOW MAN, his biography of Hammett, he wrote, re 10 STORY BOOK, "Issues of the magazine are rare and there is no known copy of the November 1922 issue. Hammett's story ["Immortality"] is assumed to have been published in that issue on the basis of an inventory of his work prepared by Muriel Alexander."

Now, we have the Nov 1922 issue listed on the FictionMags site and, curiously, the Hammett story is not listed.

However presumably it did appear there because it is cited as such on the Rara-Avis Hammett checklist, which says:

"Immortality" (by "Daghull Hammett") Original publication: 10 Story Book, November 1922 Most recent reprint: On the internet at http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/biblio/lazy-gink.html
<<<<

Now the story is such a short squib that I wonder whether, when the listing was given for Fictionmags it was overlooked? Or, I wondered, did someone find the text for the story from some other source and we are still assuming it appeared in that issue. Does anyone have that issue to hand to double check?

-- Mike A.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM