RARA-AVIS: Best Books Since 2000

From: Donna ( donna.moore@virgin.net)
Date: 04 Nov 2004

Juri wrote:

>the new hardboiled/noir revival. I'd like you to nominate the best novels in >the genre since the year 2000. There have
been many new writers and new >publishers etc. and the activity is still on the rise. Who are the essential >authors and what are the essential books?

Well, some of these are more hardboiled/noir than others, and I know I'm going to miss some of my favourites because my memory doesn't stretch back as far as 2000 (actually, I'm having trouble with last week) but here goes:

Ken Bruen - anything and everything Eddie Muller - THE DISTANCE and SHADOW BOXER Allan Guthrie - TWO-WAY SPILT David Corbett - THE DEVIL'S REDHEAD and DONE FOR A DIME Sean Doolittle - DIRT (it's also funny - hope it still counts!) Victor Gischler - GUN MONKEYS (haven't yet read Pistol poets) Scott Phillips - THE ICE HARVEST Jason Starr - HARD FEELINGS, TOUGH LUCK and TWISTED CITY Declan Burke - EIGHT BALL BOOGIE Mark T Conard - DARK AS NIGHT Simon Kernick - THE BUSINEES OF DYING, THE MURDER EXCHANGE, and THE CRIME TRADE Kevin Wignall - FOR THE DOGS Charlie Stella - CHARLIE OPERA (another humourous one) Daniel Woodrell - DEATH OF SWEET MISTER Richard Aleas - LITTLE GIRL LOST David Bowker - THE DEATH YOU DESERVE (which is also humourous and just a little bit weird)

And then there are 3 soon to be published: Duane Swierczwynski's - SECRET DEAD MEN (also funny and bizarre) Ray Banks' - THE BIG BLIND Reed Farrell Coleman's - THE JAMES DEANS

I know I'm going to send this and then kick myself for missing something, but...

Cheers,

Donna

--
http://freespace.virgin.net/donna.moore

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM --------------------------------------------------------------------~->