Re: RARA-AVIS: AA Fair

From: James Reasoner ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 01 Nov 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: < DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net> To: < rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Monday, November 01, 2004 7:22 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: AA Fair

> I really enjoyed Top of the Heap, my first book in the Cool & Lam
> series. I'm curious, though. This book was almost all Donald Lam.
> Bertha Cool was there at the beginning and the end, but was largely
> absent from the middle except for a meeting and a few phone calls to
> yell at her partner. Is this typical or does she take a more active
> role in other books in the series?
>
> That's two Hard Case Crime books. Soon is Stansberry's The Confession.
>
> Mark

One of the World War II era novels features Bertha Cool solving a case on her own. Donald is off in the Navy, or something like that. I can't recall the title of the book right now. I read the first book in the series, THE BIGGER THEY COME, just last week and enjoyed it a lot.

I also just finished Stansberry's THE CONFESSION and thought it was very good, too. (Although just about as different from Erle Stanley Gardner as you're likely to find.)

James