RARA-AVIS: re: Grofield

From: Tapani Bagge ( tapani.bagge@aina.fi)
Date: 28 Oct 2004

I've read two Grofield books. LEMONS NEVER LIE was sort of a mix between Parker and Dortmunder and quite good, a relaxed and funny semi-hardboiled book, but to me BLACKBIRD didn't work very well, maybe because I'm not so much into this secret agent game. I think BLACKBIRD is one of of the weakest efforts of Westlake, among his only sf novel, Anarchaos. Of course it's still Westlake, and even in his lamest he can write circles around most of the others in the business.

I do have another Grofield book, THE DAME, on my shelf. It seems to be some kind of an jungle adventure with mobsters, but I haven't read it yet.

Tapani B.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM