Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent purchases - early Woodrell

From: Duane Spurlock ( duane1spur@yahoo.com)
Date: 27 Oct 2004

Chris M < cptpipes@hotmail.com> wrote:

<< This weekend I picked up Woodrell's Rene Shade series in paperback and can't wait to dive in.

The archives don't have too much to say about these three books save for Bill Crider's comment that Muscle for the Wing may be better than Give Us a Kiss, which is a favorite of mine.

  I thoroughly enjoyed the Rene Shade books, and wish they were back in print. These novels have a melancholy, world-weary atmosphere that the authors carries just excellently throughout.
  The later, "country-noir" novels have a harder, less forgiving edge. To me, the candle of hope that flickers in the Shade books seems completely extinguished in the later novels. But Woodrell's writing remains top notch.

- Duane Spurlock