Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Humor and irony in noir

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 23 Oct 2004

Goodis was more than capable of inserting his own funny lines. My favourite, possibly, from SOMEBODY'S DONE FOR, where a guy, drowning, with no hope of rescue, says to himself: "I don't think you want oblivion. It's very restful, of course, but there's no future in it."

And Morris and Feather in DOWN THERE are practically noir's Laurel and Hardy. " 'The melons?' Morris was playing STRAIGHT MAN [my caps]. 'Who grows them?' " That whole watermelon exchange is highly reminiscent of some of the Jackson/Travolta exchanges in PULP FICTION. The dialogue takes place in a moving car, with the protagonist (Eddie) held at gunpoint, and at one point Feather says to Morris, " 'Put that thing [the gun] away. We hit a bump it might go off.' "

Granted, for the most part Goodis is very serious, but on the odd occasion he reads like Elmore Leonard's older brother.

Al

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jacques Debierue" < matrxtech@yahoo.com> To: < rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 3:43 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Re: Humor and irony in noir