RARA-AVIS: Slow River

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Oct 2004

Just finished this one, left over from the rara-avis sci-fi month. Griffith milks an abused poor little rich girl theme for all its worth. Probably for more than it's worth. I've only read a few books of this type, humorless tales of paranoia bordering on hysteria. I'm not a good one to judge them. I don't much care for them. I can't help but interpret the lack of ironic humor as a morose overdose of nearsighted self-importance. There have been authors who could pull it off. Didion's PLAY IT AS IT LAYS stands out. So did Peter Temple's IN THE EVIL DAY. The cover for SLOW RIVER advertises it as a Nebula Award winner, so evidently my opinion is a dissenting minority.

Mark Blumenthal, are you still out there? Haven't seen you post in ages. I'll be back up in Chicago mid-November. I'd like to do a replay of our walk around your neighborhood to those great used bookstores.

miker

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM