RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Another translation example

From: Anders Engwall (KI/EAB) ( anders.engwall@ericsson.com)
Date: 19 Oct 2004

Charlie Williams asked:

> Er, can you elaborate on this "pornographic appendix"?
> Not written by Jim Thompson, I take it? When was this
> book line out?

The book line in question was Komet (yes, that's "Comet"), which started in 1955 and ended in 1981 or so. In 1966 they started to include a porn story with each book, in an appendix printed on pink paper (while the rest of the book was on regular white). The only times this appendix was not hackwork by Anonymus was when it was an excerpt from some of Ted Mark's Steve Victor novels (which I find quite funny, btw).

> But the likes of JT are treated as kind of "heritage"
> authors now, quality classic covers etc.

We were talking about James Ellroy translations, and I'd like to mention that the guy who turned the L.A. quartet into Swedish also has handled none other than J.M. Coetzee. Imagine, say, Gil Brewer getting that kind of treatment in 1958. Yeah, right.

Anders

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM