RARA-AVIS: *True Confessions* by Domenic Stansberry from Hardcase Crime

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Oct 2004

Last night, I finised reading *True Confessions* by Domenic Stansberry. It's one of the November releases from Hardcase Crime. (Only 6.99 in paperback.)

This is my forth Dominic Salisberry I have read, and it won't be my last.

I think Stansberry has created his own sub-genre with this "middle class noir" novel about a forensic psychologist who is accused of murder. Calling it noir belies my own definition to a point, but ultimately, I think, the main character is screwed. The book is also dark and sinister, so hats off to Jim Doherty's definiation as well.

The first half of the book reads like a mainstream novel with references to the various criminal cases that Jake Danser has studied and on which he has testified.

So as not to give too much of the story away, I will just say that Danser and his wife are having marital problems and they separate. Danser is accused of murder and hires a smart criminal attorney to defend him.

Told in the abstract, that does not sound like much, but Stansberry gives layers of meaning and almost subliminal information and questions that complicate the situation for Danser and the reader.

This is a damn good book told in the first person in a style that is totally individual. It is some of the best writing I have seen in recent years, and I can think of no current author who writes better than Stansberry.

Stansberry has been twice nominated for an Edgar, snf I have a sense that hr is an author whose time has come. My compliments to Charles Ardai for making this book and other hardboiled an noril novels available in a low-cost format.

The book comes with a cover painting in the style of the old Gold Medal Books and a cover quote which asks the important question of the novel:
"Was he an innocent man . . . or a depraved killer."

It's a question no reader will fail to ask after the murder. Jack Bludis

=====
"Shadow of the Dahlia" Now on sale. Shamus and Anthony nominee http://www.jackbludis.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM