RARA-AVIS: Night and Morning

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Oct 2004

JIM DOHERTY quoted translator Nelson:

If "Night Wolves" is successful in the American market, I have another Neznansky translation that could be out pretty quickly.

*************** Stirred my interest enough to click to an excerpt of the novel. I am sorry to say that my interest died there. Heavy on the adverbs, and the small amount of dialogue was flatter than a Kansas prairie. Hammett wrote in-your-face action. The action in NIGHT WOLVES appears as if seen through a telescope. Looking through the wrong end.

Geez. I've been Mr. Negative here recently, haven't I? Let me end on a more positive note. I just finished Gores's COME MORNING, and although I thought he failed to work the climbing scenes effectively, the novel was overall a satisfying experience. I've also read his INTERFACES and CASES, good novels also.

I've got a week's worth of biz with Northrop Grumman Aerospace to take care of up in Chicago this coming week. I've been wondering what books to take with me.
 I think I've settled on Hammett's THIN MAN and Russell James's SLAUGHTER MUSIC. This will wrap up all the Hammett novels for me and introduce me to Russell James. I'll take Nicola Griffith's SLOW RIVER, too. I need to finish it.

miker