RARA-AVIS: Re: Introduction

From: Charlie Williams ( cs_will@btopenworld.com)
Date: 14 Oct 2004

Karin Montin wrote:
>>To me, there's a big difference between saying
something's shit (especially to someone who actually likes the thing in question), and saying you don't care for it and why. Others apparently see no difference at all.<<

"shit" was my own word, in summing up what a critic is saying about a book when he writes a damning
(well-argued or otherwise) piece:

>But in writing a damning piece, a critic is not
>necessarily denying the right of others to enjoy the
>subject. He's just saying the subject is shit.

Maybe I should have said "He is just saying he thinks the subject is bad."

But, really, is there a difference? Or are we talking semantics here?

Charlie Williams.