RARA-AVIS: Re: Introduction

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Oct 2004

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, DJ-Anonyme@w... wrote:
> Jim wrote:
>

> While he did include an example from Sayers in his list of
unlikely murder methods, the book Chandler really pooh-poohs is AA Milne's Red House Mystery, which he rips apart at length. I've often wondered why he chose that book as his primary example. Was Milne's book really that big? Why didn't he choose a Sayers novel as his scapegoat if he was responding directly to her?>>

Probably because Milne, unlike Sayers, was a highly talented writer. If you are going to attack a type of book, it's most effective to attack an example of high quality (within that type).

Chandler does indeed take it apart and, unfortunately for me, gives the game away. I read it after having read TSAM and had trouble concentrating. Hard as Milne was trying, his spell wouldn't work on me. Give that book to a teenager (as has been mentioned) and he will love it.

Another one that Chandler mentions in the same essay (I think) is Bentley's _Trent's Last Case_. This one I still enjoy very much.

Best,

MrT

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM