RARA-AVIS: Re: Christie

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Oct 2004

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Doug Bassett
<dj_bassett@y...> wrote:

> My favorite "fair play" mystery writer is definitely
> John Dickson Carr.

Yes, a master of impossible crimes. His characters tend to be stuffy, though. But for pure detection, he can't be beat (except perhaps by Edward Hoch).

Partly in response to what's been reported about Russell James's article: I don't think people here read books with a Hardboiled union card in front of their nose. A good book is a good book. Nor is there a clear dichotomy between "hardboiled" and "cozy". Readers shouldn't let such labels prevent them from reading something good.

In any case, there is no war between the Hardboileds and the Cozies. Let's leave the manipulation in branding and segmenting to the publishers.

Best,

MrT

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM