RARA-AVIS: James and Sayers

From: tolkien1uk ( mikeashley@compuserve.com)
Date: 13 Oct 2004

He's just saying the subject is shit. Which
> is every critic's right, isn't it?

Charlie,

I'm not sure it is. The critic has the right to explain why he thinks it's shit, but to make it clear why that's his opinion. No critic should force that opinion on others.

I enjoy all types of crime fiction, though not at extremes. I don't like the real ultra-cozy any more than I like an overly sadistic and violent hard-boiled, but I wouldn't stop anyone else enjoying them, and I wouldn't go out of my way to force my view on others.

I must confess to being more fascinated with Sayers's life than with her fiction, but I don't deny I always used to enjoy the Wimsey but preferred Montague Egg -- the soft-boiled sort, of course!

Mike A.