RARA-AVIS: Finnish noir and noir in Finland

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@postikaista.net)
Date: 12 Oct 2004

Tapani:

"I think my own crime novels are the closest thing to noir on the market here right now. So far I have published three of them, with the fourth one coming out in 2005."

I haven't yet read the third one, but the first two were great. Some of these should be translated into English (or French or Italian or...).

"over the last dozen years I have managed to translate some novels by Fredric Brown, Lawrence Block, Richard Stark, Elmore Leonard and E. Richard Johnson"

Yes, I forgot to mention your efforts. Great job! There was also a translation of Marc Behm's "Eye of the Beholder" and two translations of James Crumley. James Ellroy does quite well. Michael Connelly is mighty big in Finland. Dennis Lehane is being translated and Harlan Coben will be soon. Sadly the Finnish publisher dropped Pelecanos after "King Suckerman". Maybe it didn't do very well.

"The Man with the Golden Arm" by Nelson Algren is just coming out of the presses. The same publisher did the first Finnish John Fante just recently. Are those considered noir?

Juri