RARA-AVIS: PI etnicity

From: Patrick J Lambe ( patlambe@patlambe.com)
Date: 12 Oct 2004

I was just re-reading some Hammett and I noticed that in addiiton to having no life outside his work, (besides the fact that he occasinally plays cards) the Continental OP seems to have no ethnic backgound. This struck me as funny because many of the other characters in the books have very ethnic names, some of which are, of course, not very PC by today's standards. I haven't read any Chandler in while, but I don't seem to remember Marlowe having ethnicity either.

This is in contrast to the more modern PI's who have complete lives and come from a vast assortment of ethnic groups. I'm not as well read in modern PI's as I should be (I've been reading more crime ficiton stuff recently) The only one I can think of off hand is Reed Farrell Coleman's Moe Prager who is Jewish,

 http://www.reedcoleman.com/street.html

I'm thinking of writing an article about this, so if anyone could point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

Pat Lambe patlambe@patlambe.com http://patlambe.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM