RARA-AVIS: Bouchercon, UK mags, People's Friend

From: Donna ( donna.moore@virgin.net)
Date: 12 Oct 2004

Hi All,

Coming out of lurkdowm briefly because...well, i met some of you in toronto and you're not as scary as you appear in print :o)

I saw the noir face off panel on Saturday morning and agreed with everyone (what can I say, I'm easily persuaded). Great panel, as was the noir one on Sunday with David Montgomery, Charlie Stella, Victor Gischler, David Corbett and Terence Faherty.

Charlie wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing something. Anyone know of any UK
> print crime mags?

BULLET is a pretty good one. Here's their website: http://www.bulletmagazine.co.uk/index.htm

It's the only one I can think of.

Jim wrote:

> If the former, Miki Hayden, in the most recent issue
> of MWA's newsletter THE 3RD DEGREE, reports on a UK
> magazine called THE PEOPLE'S FRIEND, which publishes
> "hundreds of short stories every year" as well as
> serialized novels.

The very thought of any Rara Avians having short stories published in The People's Friend makes me laugh. I think when they say their readership ranges from 30 to 80 they're off by about 30 years at both ends. On an unplanned visit to ER once (and aren't they all?) I was stuck in the waiting room with nothing to read but a 3 year old copy of The People's Friend. The nearest the magazine gets to hard-boiled is if you forget to switch the kettle off while making a nice cup of Earl Grey. No violence. Or sex, drugs or rock and roll. Although you might get away with a story about a wee old lady with an addiction to Dundee cake and a twinkle in her eye as she listens to her Engelbert Humperdink records.

Cheers,

Donna

--
http://freespace.virgin.net/donna.moore

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM --------------------------------------------------------------------~->