RARA-AVIS: Re: John Spain

From: moorich2@aol.com
Date: 05 Oct 2004

In a message dated 10/5/2004 9:40:22 AM Eastern Daylight Time, rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com writes:

> Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 21:17:32 -0500
> From: < mherridge@HTCOMP.NET>
> Subject: John Spain
>
> I am reading a hard-boiled detective story right now that I recently
> acquired: "Dig Me a Grave" by John Spain. Originally a 1942 hardback, this is a
> paperback from a short time later - Black Cat Detective Series, No.3. I have
> seen Spain's name on Ebay listings, but until this one I didn't bother to buy
> one. Anyone familiar with Spain? The detective is named William Rye, and he
> is definitely a tough character.
>

> Monte Herridge

This is a penname for Cleve F. Adams, a contemporary of and friend to Raymond Chandler. As I recall there were two Spain novels, one was pretty good and the other wasn't. Adams was better known for his Rex McBride novels but all of his detective characters were tough and quite similar.

Richard Moore

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM