RE: RARA-AVIS: Miller's Crossing = The Glass Key??

From: Chris M ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 05 Oct 2004

Mark C said:

>Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie, but I was stunned not to find a
>"based on the novel by Dashiell Hammett" line in the credits.

I thought I remembered a post on here where George Pelecanos mentioned that he'd spoken with the Coens about this and included their response.

My quick search through the archives only unearthed this quotation from Pelecanos:

"One last film to mention with regards to this Red Harvest business: the Coen Brothers' Miller's Crossing. The Coens actually drew from both Red Harvest and The Glass Key for this one. Joel and Ethan broke with the tradition begun by Hammett and carried on by Kurosawa and Leone, and gave their protagonist a name (Tom Reagan), but the source material, once again, remained uncredited."

Either I missed something in the archives, the comments came from an interview elsewhere, or I just invented it wholesale.

On another Pelecanos note, I've been meaning to post on here about him for a while now. He is the writer I enjoy reading more than any other and this summer I reread his books in order (with the exception of reading Shoedog after the Stefanos trilogy). It definitely qualifies as a big, hardboiled epic. It was fun to see how the parts fit together even moreso this time around.

_________________________________________________________________ Check out Election 2004 for up-to-date election news, plus voter tools and more! http://special.msn.com/msn/election2004.armx

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM