Re: RARA-AVIS: Pulp pleasures -Torrey

From: mherridge@HTCOMP.NET
Date: 04 Oct 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: < moorich2@aol.com>

> The story that prompted my bid was "Death Does the Jitterbug" by Roger
> Torrey, reprinted from a 1944 issue. Torrey is one of the forgotten
regulars of
> "Black Mask," who for years wrote very funny, tough stories when he wasn't
> earning a living as a speakeasy/nightclub piano player. He's forgotten
because he
> published only one novel in his lifetime (42 DAYS TO MURDER in 1938,
reprinted
> by McMillan in 1988) and he died too early for paperback revivals. >
>
> Richard Moore

You should check certain issues of Detective Fiction Weekly. Torrey had a series there about a detective and his taxi driver helper in some of the issues. The series list below is not complete; I have been compiling series lists for DFW and I know there are probably more stories in this series.

Hanigan & Irving by Roger Torrey:

The Meter Says Murder December 11, 1937 Suicide Story April 15, 1939 Country Kill May 27, 1939 No Money Payoff December 16, 1939 Murder Tips the Scales February 24, 1940

Monte Herridge

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM