RARA-AVIS: Internet access to posts

From: moorich2@aol.com
Date: 04 Oct 2004

In a message dated 10/4/2004 12:03:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time, rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com writes:

> Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 21:30:48 -0400
> From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
> Subject: Re: Re: Pulp pleasures + Death Certificate
>
> Richard wrote:
>
> "And again, I wonder if the Yahoo lists are searchable on the Internet.
> My experience on other Yahoo lists is that they are not. If so, I
> will miss getting these "out-of-the-blue" emails that have added so much
> to my knowledge."
>
> I've gotten a few of those emails, too, a few from family, but mostly
> from the authors I've commented on, themselves. Of course, the initial
> thought is always, Oh crap, did I say anything bad about them? However,
> that's quickly overwhelmed by the thrill of finding out that a
> particular author appreciates my appreciation of him or her. It's nice
> to repay a little bit of the debt I owe them for the pleasure they have
> given me.
>
> And Richard, thanks for sharing the Torrey story.
>
> Mark

My one bad experience came when before I knew everything (at least under the old server) was out there for the public, I made a off-hand comment about an actor (who I admired) who killed his wife and then himself. Someone out there
(who I later learned maintained a fan website devoted to the actor) posted to the list that it was very possible that someone else was responsible for both deaths. As I merely relayed what had been reported at the time (which was years before these postings) in the media, I responded that I did not know of any "alternative theories" but had not meant to cause offense or get in the middle of some dispute.

A couple of weeks passed and then I had an email from one of the actor's daughters, saying (in effect) that she heard that I was promoting some conspiracy theory about her parents' deaths and it was not true. As much as she loved her father and would give anything to have some other explanation for her parents' deaths, it was conclusive that her father had killed her mother and then himself. I wrote her back and explained that it was not I who had such a conspiracy theory but I named the person who had made the statement and I again paid tribute to her father's career.

The daughter was very familiar with that individual and her eccentric views and understood I was not promoting them. She and I exchanged very cordial emails but for a time there, I have to say, I posted far less often. And still, I remember and consider that this is not simply a conversation in a hallway.

And, Bill, what is the word on Yahoo? Is the list and our postings still searchable on Google and other engines?

Richard Moore