RARA-AVIS: RE: Comprehensive Surveillance

From: Graham Powell ( bleekerbooks@hotmail.com)
Date: 26 Jul 2004

>He talked a lot about the growing
>"comprehensive surveillance," leading to a city where all surveillance
>systems would be linked and every inch of the cityscape would be
>accessible to some security camera.

I don't know if there's been any word, but there are a number of science fiction works that tackle this question that might be of interest to the list. There was a series of short stories by David Drake (better know for his sci-fi mercenary novels) about future cop Jed Lacey, in a world where everyone was watched, all the time (collected in LACEY AND HIS FRIENDS, with some non-hardboiled additions).

And there's an inverted mystery in the same scenario, called (I believe)
"Private Eye" by (I believe) Henry Kuttner. Obviously the winds of time have blown away my recollection of that one.

Graham

_________________________________________________________________ Overwhelmed by debt? Find out how to 'Dig Yourself Out of Debt' from MSN Money. http://special.msn.com/money/0407debt.armx