Re: RARA-AVIS: RE: Frank Gruber

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 18 Jul 2004

Thanks for the list of Gruber's Johnny Fletcher/Sam Cragg books, Dick. However, my Belmont copy of The French Key also lists a book called The Corpse Moved Upstairs along with . . .

"There's a Belmont paperback original, "Swing Low Swing Dead," that seems to be a reworking of an earlier novelette."

That reminds me of a question I had. Did The French Key introduce the pair or had Gruber written earlier short stories featuring them? Either way, I like how Gruber starts right up in The French Key and leaves it to you to catch up. You get to know the characters through their actions.

And an oops from me -- I referred to French Key as Gruber's first novel. Turns out that's not right. It's his first mystery, but he had already written a western novel.

Mark