Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent reads: Starr, Child, Slaughter

From: Jeff Vorzimmer ( jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 18 Jul 2004

Starr's Twisted City came out last Tuesday. If you like Starr, you'll love this one. Speaking about characters who are innocent, but end up getting involved in criminal acts.

Jeff

> Unlike miker, I thought Jason Starr's Tough Luck was pretty good.
>
> This was the first I'd read by Starr, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's
about an ordinary young guy, Mickey Prada, working in a butcher shop and saving his money for college in the fall. He likes to make small bets on basketball games, and one time a customer asks him to place a bet for him, as well. The customer doesn't give him any money, then loses. Then asks him to place another, bigger bet, then loses, refuses to pay up, etc. Mickey now owes his bookie a lot of money. A friend persuades him to take part in a robbery so he can recoup his losses. Of course, everything goes wrong. It's fast-moving, it's funny, it's dark. Just to give you an idea, one of the high point's of Mickey's life is when his father dies. His father was a pain.

> The story is apparently not typical of Starr, in that the central
character is totally innocent to start with.