RARA-AVIS: Jim Thompson, Himes McIlvanney

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 17 Jul 2004

Along with the four Grubers I mentioned in another post, I found four Jim Thompson reprints by Mysterious Press. Can anyone tell me if any of these are any good: Kill-Off, Rip-Off, Golden Gizmo and the autobiographical Bad Boy (although isn't he supposed to have take great liberties with facts here?).

I also bought End of the Primitive by Chester Himes. Jim Sallis recently praised this one highly. I had a copy of The Primitive, but I decided to wait until I found this Old School Books printing of the uncut version. I'm looking forward to this. They also had a Thunder Mouth reprint of Himes's If He Hollers, Let Him Go. Anyone know if this book was cut on its original appearance (I have an old paperback of this, too)?

Finally, I picked up a cheap copy of William McIlvanney's Laidlaw for a friend, an ex-pat Scot, who is sad she has run out of Rankin's Rebus novels. I really liked the Laidlaw books when I read them back when. Rebus reminded me a lot of them when I first read Rankin. I may have to re-read this before I pass it on (easier than digging out my copy in a box). Are Mclvanney's other books recommended (not that I've ever seen any of them in the states)?

Mark