Re: RARA-AVIS: Jean-Patrick Manchette

From: Stewart Wilson ( stewart@stewartwilson.com)
Date: 09 Jul 2004

E.Borgers wrote:

> But the result is stunning and very personal, under this apparent
> simplicity.
> As I already said in the past here, he is one of the greatest French
> noir writers.

While in France last November, I picked up three Manchettes (TROIS HOMMES A ABATTRE, FATALE, LA POSITION DU TIREUR COUCHE), but only after going in to about 20 bookstores (mostly used). I was very disappointed to find that almost none of the bookstore staff in any of stores new who he was. The same was true of Malet. In the end, I found copies in Paris at a FNAC and a Virgin (having checked other FNAC and Virgins with no luck). I was surprised mostly because I was expecting noir writers to be closer to the mainstream in French culture. The used bookstores largest sections were usually mystery, and mostly american and british books in translation.

In the end, I'm at least happy to have found some of his books, and I enjoyed the unexpected hunt, but my wife was none too pleased about the continual bookstore excusions, when we were just supposed to by enjoying our honeymoon.

Cheers,
--Stewart