RARA-AVIS: Bouchercon

From: Moorich2@aol.com
Date: 07 Jul 2004

I will also be at Bouchercon. I was registered for the convention but just tonight made my hotel reservation at the Intercontinental, which is as close to being the host hotel as you can find since the con is in a convention center.
 I hesitated at the cost but I always regret skipping Bouchercon, especially when I hear all the stories later.

I stopped doing banquets--gee, it was the last time the Bouchercon was in Toronto. First a waiter serving our table noticed that I was using the wrong fork. He picked it up from where it was resting on the plate, wiped it off and returned it to the lineup. He then picked up the correct fork and dropped it with a clatter on my plate. The entire table (mostly friends) fell on the floor laughing. It was such a fantastic snotty waiter bit that I would sign up again if I could be guaranteed to get the same A-Hole.

It was the second incident that gives me pause. A second waiter walked behind me carrying a tray of glass goblets full of ice water. I was in the midst of discussing mystery plots when just as I said the word "jeopardy" one of the full goblets fell from the tray onto my head. I almost wrote that it was an unintentionally dramatic moment but in reality it was an unintentionally comedic moment. While I wanted to jump up and pimp slap the clumsy fool (it did hurt), I realized that I had been cast in the role of the clown for that evening and there was nothing I could do about it. So I delicately wiped the water from my eyes, gave them my best Oliver Hardy and swore off Bouchercon banquets.

I will say that at the first Minneapolis Bouchercon the magician hired to entertain was the greatest unintentionally funny act I have ever seen. He had carefully devised an act geared for a mystery audience. The problem developed when none of his tricks worked and he desperately sought to carry on. Feed Crider enough Dr. Peppers in Toronto and he'll tell the story or point you to Steve Stilwell, the man responsible. The Stilwell version will cost you a single malt but the bonus is you get to see a guy on a heart transplant waiting list go apoplectic.

Richard Moore

<<