RARA-AVIS: Moran on Abe

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 06 Jul 2004

From: David Moran And, yes, Kobo Abe. Overall a strange gentleman. I've never read him, but I did see the Japanese movie made out of his "Woman of the Dunes." Weird is about all I've got to say about that. I don't much understand movies made after 1960, whether they're American or Japanese.

--Well, Kobo Abe was a surrealist, very much in the Kafka tradition, and WOMAN IN THE DUNES, either the novel (in translation) or the wonderful film version, isn't too terribly like most of what we discuss here...though we do get sublimated lust, small-town treachery, a lone male wanderer who finds himself trapped...hmm...

TM