Re: RARA-AVIS: Kurosawa and English subtitles

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 06 Jul 2004

miker wrote:

"I'm not familiar with [Kurosawa]."

Ooh, you're in for a treat.

"Yojimbo looked like the one that I think has been referred to as an adaptation of RED HARVEST."

That's the one. It was later remade as Fistfull of Dollars. Walter Hill did an even later, and lesser, adaptation (of which one, officially, I can't remember) with Bruce Willis, Last Man Standing.

Seven Samurai was remade as The Magnificent Seven. Parts of the real first Star Wars (the attack on the Death Star) supposedly owe a whole lot to Hidden Fortress, but I haven't seen that one.

As I wrote a few months ago, High and Low is a fantastic adaptation of Ed McBain's King's Ransom. Stray Dog follows cop Toshiro Mifune around as he tries to track down his handgun that was stolen and used in a crime.

"Can I get a decent understanding of the movies reading English subtitles?"

Not a problem. As you can probably tell from the number of his films that have become westerns, spaghetti westerns at that, they do not primarily revolve around the dialogue. I'm not say there's anything wrong with the dialogue, just that Kurosawa was a master of the visual.

Mark