RE: RARA-AVIS: Kurosawa: Taboada (seems to scan as well as rhyme)

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 06 Jul 2004

Mario sardonically wrote:

"Criterion has done a superb job with their Kurosawa DVD releases. But is Kurosawa sufficiently cutting-edge?"

With all of those swords, his samurai films are cutting edge by definition.

Mario:

"Does he convey the grittiness of modern city warfare?"

Accurately or not, many of us believe Yojimbo to be based on Red Harvest. It's hard to think of many better examples of city, at least small town, warfare.

Mario:

"More importantly: is he hardboiled enough?"

And Todd replied:

"HIGH AND LOW could not reasonably not fit in here."

Great movie. I'd add Kurosawa's Stray Dogs, although I don't think that's been released by Criterion.

Mark (who's starting to get intrigued by Yakuza and samurai films beyond the great Kurosawa)