RARA-AVIS: Kurosawa and English subtitles

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 06 Jul 2004

Mario Taboada wrote: Criterion has done a superb job with their Kurosawa DVD releases. But is Kurosaw sufficiently cutting-edge? Does he convey the grittiness of modern city warfare? More importantly: is he hardboiled enough?

********** I'm not familiar with him. I checked him out on Netflix and they've got several movies by him. Yojimbo looked like the one that I think has been referred to as an adaptation of RED HARVEST. There was another called Ran. Can I get a decent understanding of the movies reading English subtitles?

Thanks, miker