Re: RARA-AVIS: Someone who doesn't like Pelecanos

From: Karin Montin ( kmontin@sympatico.ca)
Date: 02 Jul 2004

I slogged through to the end, but it was hard. This interview really came across as a couple of friends with a tape recorder and no editor.

Trevor's stance on morality doesn't even make much sense:

"I see crime for profit as being a political thing. I don't see it as a moral issue, I see it as a political issue. I see it as a social issue. To some extent I guess morality plays into it. It's hard to get into that."

Or his views on art for money:

"There are certain things that are mainstream. There's a place for that. The problem with that is that in a capitalist society like ours, everything becomes about how much money it generates. If you're somebody like me, who thinks that art serves a real purpose in society, maybe the highest purpose in society, I think art, expression, philosophy, creativity, really couldart." (obviously some sort of error here)

Then a bit later:

"I don't do things for their sake, because I enjoy them. Even though I do enjoy it, but trying to get it published, trying to make money there's gotta be an end if I'm gonna do it. That part I hate. I despise it. It's incredibly painful."

I'm not quite sure, but I think he's writing for the money, only he's not making much yet. And he doesn't like other people who make art for the money.

Karin