RARA-AVIS: Who Wrote It?

From: BaxDeal@aol.com
Date: 26 Jun 2004

Hollywood was always best viewed at night. It could only hold its mystique in darkness. In sunlight the curtain comes up and the intrigue is gone, replaced by a sense of hidden danger. It was a place of takers and users, of broken sidewalks and dreams. You build a city in the desert, water it with false hopes and false idols, and eventually this is what happens. The desert reclaims it, turns it arid, leaves it barren. Human tumbleweeds drift across its streets, predators hide in the rocks.

I took the Mulholland exit and crossed over the freeway...

the above contains both clues and red herrings. this is an educated, well-read list, so I thought I'd throw in a meaningless contest as a means to make a point. once somebody posts the correct answer, both author and title, I'll comment further.

meaningless bonus points to whomever guesses my ultimate theme here.

John Lau