Re: RARA-AVIS: Max Allan Collins

From: E.Borgers ( wbac12034@tiscali.be)
Date: 22 Jun 2004

I'm a little behind with my mails, but in the long thread devoted to MA Collins, I'm surprised that apparently nobody cited BLOOD AND THUNDER
(1995), a novel with Nate Heller which is a good read. It tells a part of the story of the populist Louisiana Governor, Huey Long, the
"Kingfish", during the thirties and investigates his assassination. A rather good novel, ambiguous and intricate but full of "atmosphere". The real story of this Governor is even more intriguing and dubious, a real political swamp, but IMO Collins' approach in his novel is a good introduction.

If the Nate Heller series is uneven, you still will find there many good novels. You should try further.

I, personally have a lot more difficulties to accept the cardboard settings of Kaminsky's novels and their conventional intrigues.

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384

Mark Sullivan :