RARA-AVIS: Re: Assorted Collinses

From: Duane Swierczynski ( duane.swier@verizon.net)
Date: 12 Jun 2004

Thanks, Kevin, Mark, Bill, MrT and Jim for your thoughts on Michael Collins. I lucked out and found copies of ACT OF FEAR and SHADOW OF A TIGER at my local (Philly) library yesterday. I'm in for some happy reading this weekend.

Mark, you wrote:

> The character was
> fully developed and his politics were completely interwoven in the
> stories -- no harangues as sidebars (not that I don't enjoy Travis's
> sermons).

You've nailed the appeal for me--there are no lengthy asides, but social commentary is right there within the story, unobtrusive yet memorable. For the first couple of pages of TOADS, I was excited not so much by the plot but Collins's voice, and it reminded me of why I love first-person PI novels: the chance to hang out with someone cool for 200 pages.

And of course, maybe I'm partial to Dan Fortune (nee Fortunowski) because he's Polish...

I must have Collinses on the brain. Right now, I'm reading SPREE by Max Allan Collins, and it's terrific. I'm very much digging the Nolan series. I second that thanks to Charles at Hard Case for bringing these babies back to print.

Bill: I'm drooling over that double-signed copy of QUARRY'S LIST. Maybe we need to hire Nolan to sneak into your library late one night...

--Duane Swierczynski