RARA-AVIS: MANHUNT: Robison after Smith

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 09 Jun 2004

Yeah, MANHUNT was probably the best-selling fiction magazine so far in the US, over its first few issues in 1953 which serialized a not-terribly-long story by Spillane, then at his height of pop. Always digest-sized (as far as I know--the possibility there was a brief larger-sized run of issues nudges at me), its glory days were behind it by the early '60s (it expired altogether in the late '60s), after apparently being a captive creature of the Scott Meredith Literary Agency under its first owners (not that that fact hurt the quality of its hb/noir/anomie/nihilism fiction). The slew of CF magazines (including several imitations from MANHUNT's publishers) that followed MANHUNT onto the stands was about as impressive as the mass of post-GALAXY sf magazines. While MIKE SHAYNE MYSTERY MAGAZINE was probably seen as a potentially pretty good idea in the wake of this burst, I wonder if AFRED HITCHCOCK'S or such shorter-lived projects as ED MCBAIN'S MYSTERY BOOK were direct results of the groaning, MANHUNT-influenced CF newsstands of the latter '50s...

-----Original Message----- From: Michael Robison

Kevin Burton Smith wrote: I just picked up THE BEST FROM MANHUNT for 50 cents in a used bookstore bin (they must have seen me coming). It's a great little collection, which humbly notes on the cover that it features "13 of the toughest crime short stories ever written."

******** A great find. "Manhunt" kinda carried on after WWII when they quit calling them pulps, didn't it? If I recall, Gores's started out with quite a few stories in "Manhunt."