Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent reading

From: Bill Crider ( bcrider@houston.rr.com)
Date: 09 Jun 2004

I just finished China Mieville's KING RAT, which isn't exactly a crime novel, but then it isn't exactly not a crime novel, either. It certainly includes some grisly murders, so I guess it's OK to mention here. It's a riff on the Pied Piper story, what some people might call urban fantasy or grunge fantasy (and it's sure enough grungy). I'd also say it borders on the hardboiled/noir (and let's not get into that that means again) field. I'm a sucker for any book about life in the sewers, so naturally I'd recommend this one highly, except for one little thing that kept nagging at me. And I can't mention it for fear of spoiling things for you if you decide to read it.

Bill Crider