Re: RARA-AVIS: James Sallis

From: David Wright ( dwright333@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Jun 2004

Honey. Po' Boys is a mess. Fried meat - Roast Beef is standard - and gravy, and all kinds of other greazy stuff up in there. Soft Shell crabs. Or the Muffaletta, with olives, salami, etc. - the Italian version. You need to visit the Quarter.

  Here's a little passage from John Case's forthcoming thriller 'The Murder Artist' on the finer points:

"Now that's a GOOD po'boy," Pinky says, taking a big swig of Coke to wash down the last bite.
"Good as the food is in N'Awlins, it's gettin' harder and harder to find a top-drawer po'boy. My personal theory is that you got to get out into the countryside, because the places in town go an' change the grease too often. What you think, Arthur?"

..."This a genuine compliment or you sayin' my grease got whiskers?"

"No, I mean it," Pinky insists. "It's like aged beef. Young oil's got no bouquet. It's just neutral. Doesn't add anything."

David Wright
--- Mark Sullivan < DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net> wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>
> "As for the po'boy: As far as I know, there are
> many variations with the
> only constant being the french bread (and the
> calories). I've had them
> with oysters, catfish, chicken and roast beef.
> Delicious."
>
> I may be totally wrong, but I kind of got the
> impression that initially
> po'boys were kind of a sandwich version of soul
> food in that they are
> made with whatever was left over, hence left
> for the po'boy. That would
> explain the variations.
>
> Mark
>
> --
> # Plain ASCII text only, please. Anything else
> won't show up.
> the digest version.
> # The web pages for the list are at
> http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/ .

===== David Wright - Seattle Public Library Fiction Dept.

"Literature is a luxury; fiction is a necessity."
                 -G.K. Chesterton