Re: RARA-AVIS: James Sallis

From: E.Borgers ( wbac12034@tiscali.be)
Date: 07 Jun 2004

As far as I know, "Bluebottle" is the fifth of a series of six novels with Lew Griffin. I could advice you to read at least the fist one of this series: "The Long Legged Fly", wherein the central character is anchored in a kind of time frame of his own life, starting in 1964. The second one: " Moth"
 is equally important for the period used in the evolution of the life of the character.
"Bluebottle" should be the early 70s I think. However beware, as all along the series Sallis mixes remembrances and facts originated in previous periods of Griffin's life, and as you may have noticed it, the story does not have a linear flow, far from it. On top of everything Sallis put here and there clues or fuzzed facts that could be (IMHO) decoded as a postmodern spiel about narrator, writer and fiction. I definitely think that the series should be read in order.

All this said, this is a fascinating series wherein pessimism and lack of achievement in his close personal life are the two main characteristics of the Black Lew Griffin who seems always in search of a meaning to his life. Very good novels, complex and moving.

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384

Marianne Macdonald