Re: RARA-AVIS: Robert Campbell

From: Bill Crider ( bcrider@houston.rr.com)
Date: 02 Jun 2004

Robert Campbell and R. Wright Campbell are the same guy. As R. Wright Campbell he wrote a book called THE SPY WHO SAT AND WAITED, and probably a couple of others. I liked his series with Jimmy Flannery, all of which had animals in the titles (JUNKYARD DOG, etc.). He was a screenwriter, too, and probably his most famous work in that area was THE MAN OF A THOUSAND FACES, though some of us would remember him better for Roger Corman classics like THE MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH, TEENAGE CAVEMAN, and HELL'S ANGELS ON WHEELS. Not to mention MACHINE GUN KELLY. Some people credit him with having originated the "La-La Land" phrase to describe Los Angeles, but I don't know if he did.

Bill Crider