RARA-AVIS: Best Nathan Heller?

From: Larson, Craig ( Craig.Larson@trinidadstate.edu)
Date: 29 Apr 2004

My favorites in the Heller series were _True Crime_ and
_True Detective_, both of which dealt with gangsters in Chicago and both of which also had real-life crimes that were solved (I forget exactly which ones now, but I know Al Capone, Dillinger, etc., played roles in these books and one concerned the assassination of President McKinley by Antonin Cermak?). _The Million-Dollar Wound_ was also pretty good, though focused more on Nate Heller in WWII. And _Neon Mirage_, about Bugsy Siegel and the development of Las Vegas was pretty good. Actually, _Stolen Away_ was the first I read and it, too, was one of the standouts. I wasn't so excited by _Angel in Black_, though, probably because of comparisons to Ellroy and others. I've still got the most recent (?), _Chicago Confidential_, to read.

Craig Larson Trinidad, CO