RARA-AVIS: Best Nathan Heller?

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 28 Apr 2004

Is there a stand-out in the Nathan Heller series of mysteries by Max Allan Collins? I mentioned picking up STOLEN AWAY, and today I got a remaindered copy of ANGEL IN BLACK (2001), which is about the famous Black Dahlia murder case.

He has a few pages at the end where he gives his sources--he and his researchers did a lot of work--but there's no mention of Ellroy's THE BLACK DAHLIA (1987). Now, it's fiction, and competition, but surely it deserves a note.

Bill