RARA-AVIS: EARTHQUAKE WEATHER

From: Frederick Zackel ( fzackel@wcnet.org)
Date: 27 Apr 2004

Aloha from the cornfields

I raise my head amidst the avalanche of Finals Week to add my voice with many others to celebrate Terrill Lee Lankford's new novel EARTHQUAKE WEATHER. Today is the novel's lay-down day (which sounds sexier than reality admits.) Earlier this month I read an ARC, found it not only to be a great Hollywood novel, but also a great hard-boiled (& bittersweet) read, and I recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone. I let my 80 college students in California Literature finger and thumb my copy, and some students actually came up to me in days following asking me where they could find a copy for themselves. "Bookstores," said I.

Frederick Zackel

"When there has been a long season of quiet, people are slow to wet their hands in blood; but once blood is spilled, cutting and shooting come easy."
~ Mark Twain, "Roughing It."