RARA-AVIS: Re: Delillo

From: chrisaschneider@earthlink.net
Date: 24 Apr 2004

Redgrimes wrote:
> Delillo has a genius for analyzing (if not really dramatising) the forces at work in modern society.

Having seen one Delillo play ("The Day Room") and read another ("Valparaiso"), I couldn't agree with you more. But he *is* an extraordinary writer. "White Noise" is probably my favorite, although I also have an affection for "Players" and "The Names."

Maybe, instead of "noir," there ought to be a term like "blanche" for Delillo's chilly (yet invigorating) bleakness ...

Chris